Planet Earth really is quite a spectacular place to live, isn’t it? For those of us who love getting out and exploring nature on our own two feet, it offers so much diversity and beauty, it is almost too much to fit into one lifetime! From stunningly barren sand dunes, dazzling beaches, rolling grass plains, gaping canyons and icy tundras to lush dense tropical rainforests, we truly are blessed with choice.
So for those of you who are avid walking/hiking enthusiasts, I have put together the top 7 world-wide nature walks that you should consider putting on your bucket list! Catering for a variety of different experience levels, these walks will not only show you some of the most diverse beauty and culture this world has to offer, they will also challenge you in ways that will make life even more fulfilling!
- Inca trail - Peru: Situated in South America, this has to be one of the most historically iconic world walks. This breathtaking trail takes you from Peru’s Sacred Valley, then winds its way up through lush, forested mountain tops that are often submerged in mist, all the way up to the ancient ruins of Machu Picchu. If the spectacular Peruvian landscape isn’t enough to entice you, then perhaps you will be drawn in by the idea of exploring these ancient Inca ruins and speculating as to how these magnificent ruins were first constructed, and why?
- Distance: 33 km
- Experience level: This particular walk is considered a moderate experience level, however you can hire a porter to carry your bags if you would like to make the journey a little easier on your back!
- Blue Path (Sentiero Azzurro) - Italy: This is the most famous and popular walk on the Cinque Terre (Italian Riviera coastline). It is also considered to be one of the easiest! The stunning pathway stretches along the cliffs and coastline of crystal blue waters, that are often populated by dolphins and other large marine life. Another draw to this beautiful walk is that it passes through numerous small historical villages that offer an abundance of wine and foods to choose from.
- Distance: 12 km. One thing to note here is that sections of the path are often under repair, and for this reason ticket prices often vary depending on which sections are open.
- Experience level: Low to moderate experience required
- Everest Base Camp Trek - Nepal: If you enjoy a challenge and colder climates, then this famous trek might just be for you. With spectacular mountain peaks and stunning Nepalese landscape, this walk takes you from Lukla all the way to the base of the tallest mountain on Earth.
- Distance: 62 km
- Experience level: Moderate to This is a long and rocky walk that requires lots of camping in a vast and barren landscape, however, the scenery is worth it!
- Waitukubuli National Park - Dominica: This long trek takes about a week to complete and takes you through some of the lushest and most exotic terrain the Caribbeans have to offer. On this adventure, you will experience dense rainforest, dramatic waterfalls, lakes that boil, banana platoons as well as the stunning coastline that the Caribbeans are famed for.
- Distance: 185 km
- Experience level: This is a long trek that passes through varied terrain, so it is not advised for complete beginners unless you are enthusiastic and have a high level of fitness.
- The Narrows (Zion National Park) - United States: If you don’t mind getting a little wet as you trek through nature, then this walk is for you. Considered amongst some of the world’s most famous walks, this trek will have you winding your way along old river beds carved into stunning sandstone canyons by the Virgin River. Occasionally the old river beds flow as fairly shallow creeks, which can offer a sweet relief to the warmer summer months. This is definitely a must for your bucket list!
- Distance: 26km
- Experience: Low to moderate. Make sure you are ok with wading through water before you embark on this one though!
- Bay Of Fires - Tasmania, Australia: This stunning walk takes you along endless white sand beaches that stretch as far as the eye can see. The water is a stunning turquoise blue, which contrasts beautifully with the blood red lichen that covers many of the boulders and rocks scattered along this coastline.
- Distance: 25km
- Experience: Moderate
- Fitz Roy Trek - Patagonia, Argentina: This stunning walk has so much diverse scenery to offer, from huge glaciers, vast open plains, beech forests and the famous Fitz Roy Massif jagged mountains, the Fitz Roy Trek is one that will leave an impression.
- Distance: 58km
- Experience: Moderate to challenging
This stunning planet that we call Earth, is home to 196 countries, and more than 800 islands. That's a whole lot of natural beauty just waiting to be explored! Though these 7 walks are considered to be amongst the most spectacular, and definitely worthy of any hiking enthusiast’s bucket list, there are literally thousands more famed walks to choose from. So whether you like a relaxed and easy stroll or a challenging expedition, there is so much out there just waiting to be discovered!